Notes: Mets are ready to move on from Ben Zobrist
The Mets received the disappointing news that their top free agent target, Ben Zobrist, chose to sign with the Chicago Cubs.
Assistant GM John Ricco spoke with reporters and offered his reaction to the news on Tuesday night.
Here’s what he had to say…
- Zobrist reached out directly to him to let him know about his decision to join the Cubs.
- The decision Zobrist made is not believed to be about money – rather, it was believed to have to do with his connection to Cubs manager Joe Maddon, and Chicago’s proximity to his home in Tennessee.
- The club is disappointed, but always knew Zobrist could choose another team, and they’ve been prepared to go in different directions in the event he did that.
- The Mets will explore all options, including the trade market, in an attempt to fill their holes. They are more than willing to allocate the resources they set for Zobrist in other areas.
- The club has been in contact with the agents for Daniel Murphy, and will continue to have dialogue.
- The Mets are comfortable with Dilson Herrera at second base, but they want to continue their pursuit of augmenting the roster.
“It’s disappointing, I’m going to be honest,” Ricco said. “We’ll move on and we’ll be all right,” Ricco said.