Mets winter ball update – Wilmer Flores day-to-day after HBP, Juan Lagares active
Several notable Mets are participating in Winter Ball in the caribbean during the off-season. Here’s a quick look at how they’re faring:
- Wilmer Flores is active for Los Bravos de Margarita in his native Venezuela after a brief break following the World Series. But he’s only played in one game and not since last Thursday after he was hit by a pitch in his leg. He went 1-for-4 in his lone appearance for Los Bravos, although he played second base in that appearance.
- Juan Lagares has played in three games for Las Aguilas Cabanas in the Dominican Winter League, and is hitless in his last two games after opening his winter with a 1-for-3 performance on Friday. He is 0-for-8 against right-handed pitching in his first three games this winter.
- Mets prospect Wuilmer Becerra had been active for Los Tigres de Aragua in the Venezuelan Winter League, but hasn’t played in a week and only has four at-bats so far. Becerra, 21, is the Mets 12th best prospect according to MLB.com.
- Johnny Monell has been productive for Los Criollos de Caguas in Puerto Rico, hitting .324/.444/.514 with a double, triple, home run and five RBI in 16 games.
- Mets prospect Travis Taijeron has had an uneven start to his winter with Los Caribes de Anzoategui in Venezuela. He’s notched three doubles and two home runs with eight walks, but has struck out 17 times in 15 games while compiling a .234/.339/.426 line in 47 at-bats.
- Stolmy Pimentel – who was signed to a minor league contract last week – has been solid for Las Estrellas de Oriente in the Dominican Republic, allowing just two runs and a walk in 5 2/3 innings over three relief appearances.
- Jenrry Mejia – who is ineligible to return to the Mets until late July, 2016 after a second PED suspension – has been up and down in seven starts for Los Tigres del Licey in the Dominican Republic. He’s 1-3 with a 4.09 ERA in 33 innings, allowing 37 hits and eight walks with 20 strikeouts.
To view stats for all of the Mets participating in Winter Ball, click here.